The Kenyan government has taken a technological leap in the transport industry with the implementation of innovative digital number plates for vehicles. Designed with safety and security in mind, these new plates boast built-in security features to facilitate tracing of vehicle ownership by law enforcement. In an effort to curb tax evasion in the car sales industry, the government aims to synchronize these new plates with the Kenya Revenue Authority’s systems.
In this article, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to apply for the new generation digital number plates. The process is simple and straightforward, and you can complete it in a few easy steps.
How to Apply for the New Generation Digital Number Plates on NTSA
- Step 1: Visit the NTSA Website The first step in applying for the new generation digital number plates is to visit the NTSA (National Transport and Safety Authority) website. Here, you will find all the information you need on the new plates and how to apply for them. Simply go to the website and click on the “Vehicle registration” tab.
- Step 2: Select “Apply for Reflective Plate” Once you are on the NTSA website, select “Vehicle registration” and then “apply for reflective plate.” This will take you to the next step where you will need to choose your vehicle from the list provided.
- Step 3: Select Your Vehicle In this next step, select the vehicle you want to register. The list will include all the vehicles you have registered with NTSA, and you can choose the one you want to apply for the new generation digital number plate.
- Step 4: Reason for Application In the next step, you will need to select the reason for your application. Choose “NEW GENERATION PLATE.” This will indicate that you are applying for the new digital number plate and not the traditional one.
- Step 5: Upload Original Logbook and Plates The next step is to upload a PDF form of your original logbook and plates, both the rear and front. This will allow NTSA to verify that you are the rightful owner of the vehicle and that you are eligible to apply for the new generation digital number plates.
- Step 6: Choose Number Plate Format After uploading your original logbook and plates, choose your preferred number plate format. The options are oblong and square, so choose the one that you prefer.
- Step 7: Notification Method In this step, select your preferred notification method. You can choose to receive a notification via SMS or email.
- Step 8: Collection Center Select the collection center and the ID of the person who will collect the plates. This will ensure that you receive your new digital number plates as soon as possible.
- Step 9: Make Payment The final step is to make the payment of KES 3050. You can make the payment online using a credit or debit card.
- Step 10: Collection Notification Once the payment is made, you will receive a collection notification within 7 days. This will indicate that your new generation digital number plate is ready for collection. Simply go to the designated collection center and collect it using the ID of the person who will collect it.
Applying for the new generation digital number plates in Kenya is a simple and straightforward process. By following these 10 easy steps, you can have your new plate in no time. The new plates come with inbuilt security features that enhance road safety and security, and they also help to reduce tax evasion in the car selling business. Get yours today and enjoy the benefits of the latest technology in the transport industry.