Telkom Kenya has some of the most attractive data bundles that are more affordable than what we get on Safaricom; in fact, some of us have become used to the idea of owning more than one SIM card from available mobile service providers for various reasons. While I might keep my Safaricom SIM so that I don’t miss out on MPESA services, I always have Telkom for data and Airtel comes in handy in making those international calls.
Telkom Kenya unveiled a more convenient way that subscribers who use MPESA services can easily purchase airtime for their mobile phones using a Paybill number. While the process is straight forward for those who want to use airtime, you’ll need to purchase data bundles once airtime has been credited on your account from Safaricom.
There is a simpler way to directly purchase data bundles for your Telkom number from MPESA, though you must be on an active data subscription. This basically means you must have opted into one of Telkom’s recurring data plans such as daily subscription.
How to Purchase Telkom data bundles from MPESA
- The process is similar to how you can purchase airtime for your Telkom line from MPESA
- On your MPESA menu, tap on Lipa na MPESA
- Enter Telkom MPESA PayBill number: 777711
- Put your Telkom number as account
- Enter the amount you want to transfer
- Then confirm the transaction
- Once airtime has been credited on your Telkom SIM, dial *544# and subscribe to any of the available data plans
For those with an active recurring data plan such as daily data subscription, all you have to do is purchase the correct amount of credit once your plan is due from MPESA by using paybill number 777711 and your Telkom number as account number.
Your plan will be automatically renewed once there’s sufficient airtime to do so.