Mobile money transfer services in Kenya have evolved to the point of being considered as the most effective and efficient means to make payments for utility bills such as electricity and water bills. As of now, instead of subjecting oneself to long queues at the Kenya Power and Lighting company (KPLC) offices to pay for a monthly electricity bill, both Mpesa and Airtel Money customers can make these payments directly from their mobile phones at the comfort of their homes. The advent of mobile money transfer services in Kenya did not only change the mode of paying utility bills but eliminated problems associated with carrying cash as well as providing the most efficient way for business to accept payments for their products and services. It’s now easier to pay for your electricity bill using Mpesa or Airtel Money by following a few simple steps on your cell phone.
Paying Electricity (KPLC) Bill Using Mpesa and Airtel Money
How to pay electricity (KPLC) bill using Mpesa;
· To use this service, users must have an activated Mpesa account which is available for Safaricom subscribers only.
· If you have an activated Mpesa account with enough balance to complete the transaction, navigate to Mpesa from the services (varies depending on the phone model) icon on your Phone.
· Input the Kenya Power and Lighting Company (KPLC) Business number which is 888888.
· Enter your full KPLC account number such as 32444-03.
· Enter the full amount you want to pay then press OK,
· Input your Mpesa Pin and wait for a confirmation text message.
How to Pay electricity (KPLC) bill using Airtel Money;
· From the Airtel Money Menu, Choose Money and press OK
· Enter Kenya Power under the Nickname field
· Enter the full amount you intent to pay (your Airtel Money account must have in excess of the payment amount plus transaction costs)
· Then input your Airtel Money Password
· On the Reference field, enter your full KPLC account number such as 32444-03.
· You will receive a confirmation text message for the transaction.
Both transactions take at least 24hours to be reflected on your account balance
Checking Electricity (KPLC) Bill Using Mobile Phone
· Create a text Message with only the first part of your KPLC Account number i.e. 32444
· Send the text message to 5551
· You’ll shortly receive your KPLC bill balance