Kenya’s sole power distributor KPLC has had its fair share of criticism for not honoring up to customer’s needs and not heeding to the competition created by increased demand for greener solar power. However, if latest developments are anything to go by, it might be about time Kenya Power started looking for ways to enhance customer experience and at least make it easier for Kenyans to apply for electricity connections. The distributor has now opened a new portal that will enable customers to directly apply for power connectivity on their mobile phones, this is an upgrade to the current systems which required someone to visit their offices in order to be able to apply.
Kenyans will now be able to apply for electricity right on their mobile phones or through the KPLC website. The new measures will also allow Kenyans to exercise social distancing amidst the current pandemic which has wreaked havoc across the world. In simple terms, you do not need to visit any KPLC office to get the necessary application forms to apply for electricity connectivity in your home. However, you’ll still need to provide necessary documents, which include your identification documents as well as property ownership documents.
How to apply for electricity connection from Kenya Power on your mobile phone or website
To apply on the KPLC website
- Visit the utility firm’s website here https://kplc.co.ke/
- Then navigate to “Getting Electricity” under “Customer Service”
- You’ll see important information related to new applications such as duration it takes and necessary documents required.
- Next, head over to the utility firm’s self-service portal here https://selfservice.kplc.co.ke/
- Create an account if you don’t already have and proceed with the application.
To apply on the mobile app
- Download the app from respective app stores
- For android, go to Google Playstore and search for “MyPower”
- For iOS, go to the App Store and look for “MyPower”
- Launch the app and click on “New Supply Application”.
- Proceed to choose whether its “individual (non-commercial)” or “Business (Commercial)”
- Fill in the required information, such as identification documents and address.
- Upload KRA Tax certificate, ID number and ownership document.