NIC Bank has a USSD service that allows customers to easily move funds from their accounts to MPESA and also make some common transactions such as purchasing airtime for their mobile phones. Unlike a mobile app option which is also available to NIC bank customers who need it, USSD is most preferred since you don’t necessarily need to have a smartphone or access to the internet to perform common transactions on your mobile phone.
Requirements to use NIC Bank’s USSD service on your phone
As is expected, you’ll need to meet some criteria to access the mobile banking service on your mobile phone. For a start, you’ll need to be a customer at the bank and have either a Safaricom or Airtel SIM card. And phone with an active Safaricom or Airtel SIM card would be the best place to begin assuming you already have an account with the bank.
Additionally, you’ll need to register for the service by filling out an application form available at any of their many branches and subscribing to the service. Because of the security nature associated with the service, you’ll not be automatically opted into unless an application is submitted requesting for the service.
We always love the efficiency nature associated with USSD codes, you don’t need a smartphone or access to the internet as is the case with an app, in any case the transaction costs are way low, mostly similar to the normal way you’ll be charged for sending a text message.
How to withdraw money from NIC Bank to your MPESA
- On your phone, dial *488#
- Then proceed to enter your PIN
- Continue with prompts to withdraw cash from your account to MPESA
- Enter the amount you wish to transfer
- You’ll be presented with the total amount including transaction costs
- Confirm the transaction
How to deposit money from MPESA to your NIC account
- On your MPESA Menu, tap on “Lipa na Mpesa”
- Then select “Pay Bill” option
- Enter NIC Bank’s MPESA Business number: 488488
- Type in your NIC account number under “account”
- Enter the total amount you wish to deposit, then press send
- Enter your MPESA PIN and confirm the transaction