In the wake of social distancing directives targeted at curbing the spread of the current pandemic, businesses have either moved their operations and services online or adopted mobile money transfer technology such as MPESA to avoid requiring customers to visit their offices. MPESA has over the years transformed how we run things here in Kenya, for example; with zero-rated transaction fees courtesy of the central bank of Kenya, cash transactions over the teller machines have almost stumbled rock-bottom. Kenyans are now more likely to use MPESA than any other means to transfer cash, purchase items and even pay utility bills.
As is the case with most local banks here in Kenya, Postbank now allows users to access several of its services using their mobile phones. Customers can deposit funds to any of their Postbank account, withdraw their account balances and even pay some utility bills such as airtime all thanks to MPESA. The process is easy and just like any other transactions over MPESA, it can be accessed from anywhere in the country via a mobile application or using a USSD Code.
Courtesy of a service Postbank unveiled some years back dubbed “Patacash”, customers can perform several transactions over their mobile phones such as transfer funds from their Postbank account to M-PESA or to another Postbank account. The patacash service is offered under partnership with mobile network provider – Safaricom.
How to deposit money from your MPESA balance to your Postbank account;
- On your mobile phone, access MPESA menu and choose “Lipa Na Mpesa”
- Then tap on “Pay Bill”
- Enter the Postbank business number 200999
- On the next page, key in Your Full Postbank Account Number as the “Account Number”
- Enter the amount you wish to deposit then
- Put your Mpesa PIN Number and confirm the transaction.
- You should see the transaction details on your phone screen, after you’ve confirmed the details are correct, proceed to complete the transaction.
How to withdraw funds from your Posbank account to MPESA using USSD Code
Please note this service is only available to Postbank customers who have registered for the mobile banking service, and as such; you’ll need to visit the nearest Postbank branch and fill in a form to register for mobile banking first if you haven’t done so.
- On your mobile phone, head over to the dialer app and type: *498#
- Proceed with the prompts to withdraw
- You should receive a reference number on your mobile phone, note it somewhere and start the process a fresh.
- Dial *498# again and insert the reference number you received in the earlier step
- Enter your new PIN and confirm,
- On successful activation, Dial “498” again and choose available mobile banking options