As everyone is now turning to e-learning a midst the uncertainty we currently face, top mobile broadband service providers in the country – Safaricom and Airtel have specific data offerings for students to access learning materials online while at home. While Safaricom is offering a special 100MB elimu bundle to access educational content on Viusasa, Longhorn e-learning and Shupavu web, Airtel on its part is promising access to the longhorn publisher’s portal free of charge.
Educational institutions in the country have since closed down and most of them have resorted to e-learning in a bid to ensure learners are not disadvantaged by the current situation. Some institutions have gone as far as purchasing teaming up with telecommunications providers to purchase data for learners such as we witnessed with the KCA university earlier on.
The education sector remains one of the largely affected sectors in the current stay at home era where everyone has embarked on technology to work, learn or exercise. Technology at the same time doesn’t come cheap especially for the average Kenyan out there and we are glad to see some of this tech firms take initiatives to ease the burden on learners who now need internet access more than ever.
For homes with unlimited fixed internet access especially in the Kenyan urban centers like Nairobi the burden to access content online might not seem as real as those in the rural areas and we assume this is the specific group being targeted for the education bundles such as the “elimu data bundle”.
How to access Longhorn e-learning portal using Airtel Kenya free education data
While there are many e-portals and mobile applications currently available for Kenyan learners, Airtel Kenya has instead opted to team up with Longhorn publishers – a well-known education material creator in the country.
- As expected, first you need to have access to Airtel broadband internet. This can be achieved by either using your mobile phone as a hotspot or an access point with airtel SIM card.
- You don’t necessarily need to have active data on your device, but mobile access must be enabled if you’re using a mobile phone.
- Head over to Longhorn e-learning portal here: https://elearning.longhornpublishers.com/
- You should be able to access the portal and perform various activities without data charges on the airtel Kenya network.
- To access other e-learning portals or streaming services such as YouTube on Airtel network, you’ll need to purchase their crazy affordable amazing data bundles by dialing *544#. You’ll have an option of buying data valid for 24hrs, 7days, 30 days or 90days.