The lumia line-up might be several months old, but windows phone veterans have had to ship them from overseas at least until now, Lumia 510 is now here with us, finally the long wait is over after it was officially unleashed in the local market. The phone looks dirty cheap compared to its immediate siblings, but that doesn’t mean it’s entirely crap; it has a 4.0inch display screen with a decent resolution, so small text look sharp and a glance at your photo gallery doesn’t disappoint either. Nokia smart phones tent to be pricier especially for the developing nations, but at an almost rock-bottom price tag of Ksh.16500 in Kenya, Tsh.355000 in Tanzania and Ushs.600000 in Uganda, Nokia Asha 510 stands a better chance of topping the mid-range line-up here in Kenya where consumers have long considered the brand trustable owing to a great hardware reputation.
The phone has a decent 4GB internal storage which’s beyond that of closest rivals, but that’s as much as you can expect, lack of a card slot effectively limits memory usage to internal. There’s a Wi-Fi adaptor built underneath so you can connect wirelessly to closer hotspots or alternatively surf over 3G at a decent speed; web pages will often load fast but that’s not news as it’s almost standard for handsets within that price range to have these capabilities. At an event in Nairobi Kenya, Nokia officially announced the availability of Lumia 510 which’s currently the cheapest of the Lumia family, “We are pleased to announce the availability of the Nokia Lumia 510 in East Africa,” says Bruce Howe, General Manager for Nokia East Africa. “There has been so much excitement globally about our Lumia smart phones and it is great to now be able to bring them to the East African market, starting today with the Nokia Lumia 510. This builds on our commitment to bring Lumia to lower price points and welcome more consumers to the windows phone experience”.
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows Phone 7.5 Mango
- Processor: 800 MHz Snapdragon S1 Processor
- Display: 4.0inch (480 x 800 pixels) (233ppi) TFT. 65k colors
- Camera: 5.0Megapixel, autofocus, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection
- Storage: 4GB Internal, 256 MB RAM, (No MicroSD) 7GB free sky drive
- Connectivity: MicroUSB v2.0, Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP,
- Internet: HSDPA 7.2Mbps, HSUPA 5.76Mbps, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n,
- Other ft: Stereo FM radio, Sensors: Accelerometer, proximity
- Battery: Standard Lithium Ion 1300mAh
I got one in use but then, I need a fast upgrade to 7.8 from 7.5 of my Nokia lumia to meet the current new app standards for downloads.