Gone are the days when you had to visit NHIF offices to fill out lengthy forms just so you could choose or change your preferred outpatient facility, the process can now be accomplished on your mobile phone in a few steps. The state-run medical fund has been aggressive in encouraging Kenyans to utilize technology in accessing services rather than having to commute to their offices in a move that effectively promotes social distancing directives.
The National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) has introduced three (3) effective ways that Kenyans can use to change or select their preferred outpatient facility which can be done using a simple mobile phone. These include; USSD option, using a smartphone app and via website. NHIF caters for bed charges in private and mission hospitals and almost the entire medical bill in public facilities; however, Kenyans are supposed to choose their preferred outpatient facility in advance for the medical fund to cater for the expenses.
How to choose or change NHIF outpatient facility via USSD Code
- For this method, you only require a simple mobile phone
- Dial *155# then follow prompts to change or choose facility appropriately
How to Choose NHIF outpatient facility using a mobile app
- Unlike the first method, you’ll need a smartphone and internet connection for this method.
- Head over to your respective app store; Google play store for android and App Store for iOS
- Then search for “My NHIF” app
- Install the app, launch the app and tap on “Other Services”
- You’ll be required to enter your ID number to get a onetime “OTP” password to login
- Once logged in, tap on “Choose Outpatient Facility” or “Change Outpatient Facility” appropriately
You can also choose a facility through their website by going to “Self-Care” option.
N/B: These changes are only possible if your account is not in arrears.