Safaricom and local media houses have inked a deal that will see customers on the Safaricom network purchase local newspaper issue at only Ksh20. In the new deal, local newspapers will be made available to Safaricom customers in the country at KS 20 which will be deducted from the subscriber’s airtime. Each purchased issue will be available to the customer for a period of seven days.
Speaking on the deal, Standard Group CEO Orlando Lyomu said the company was pleased to have made the deal saying it’s a demonstration of journalistic creativity with digital innovation in a collaborative venture. Orlando further noted Standard group was eager to offer value to readers during this period.
Nation Media Group CEO Stephen Gitagama on his part said the media house remained at the forefront of innovation as it continues to explore various opportunities that will keep its readers informed. Stephen further acknowledged the partnership with Kenya’s biggest mobile service provider to avail award-winning publications at very affordable rates to customers wherever they are demonstrated the company’s commitment.
Safaricom’s CEO Peter Ndegwa on his part noted how the world was quickly evolving to be digitally leading to the need for customers to seek ways in which they can achieve their goals by tapping into the convenience of their smartphone. He therefore concluded the company was glad to partner with media houses to digitize the newspaper channel and make them available on the mobile phone.
What you’ll get for Ksh20
Upon paying KES 20 from your Safaricom airtime, you’ll get the newspaper including data usage; meaning a customer’s data bundle will not be consumed when reading through each paper. No registration or signup will be necessary neither will customers be requested to download and install any application.
How to get local newspapers on your mobile phone for Ksh20
- To purchase your favorite newspaper on your mobile phone, Safaricom subscribers will need to visit Safaricom’s website here http://safaricom.com/discover/e-newspaper/publications
- Then selecting “Discover” from the menu
- Followed by “Newspapers”,
- upon which a customer will see newspapers available for purchase.
- Customers will need to have their data on when accessing the portal as each purchase is linked to their mobile phone number for ease of access.
How to buy local newspapers on your mobile phone via a USSD Code
- On your Safaricom line, dial *550# to purchase the newspapers.
- Purchased publications will appear under “My Newspaper” tab for 7 days after purchase.
Newspapers currently available from the Standard Group include The Standard, Saturday Standard, Sunday Standard and The Nairobian while Nation Media Group will have Daily Nation, Saturday Nation, Sunday Nation and The Business Daily.