Home Business How to enroll and save for retirement using Mobikeza...

How to enroll and save for retirement using Mobikeza digital pension plan

Saving for retirement is a concept that most Kenyans are unaware of even though they have some form for income, but as we Kenyans continue to experience various technological advancements, local companies are coming up with interesting tech-inspired solutions to tackle this problem. A while back, we got to see the emergence of usitupe mbao pension plan that only required members to save as little as Ksh20, and here we got yet another solution from Octagon Pension Services Limited dubbed Mobikeza.

Mobikeza is undoubtedly targeting workers in the informal sector who are otherwise left out from mainstream employer-sponsored pension plan with flexible approach to save for their retirement. Essentially, Mobikeza is intended for the youth who are mostly self-employed in Kenya’s famous jua kali sector as well as small and medium sized enterprises. It gives the contributor a platform to make unlimited deposits and periodic withdrawals right on their mobile phones via USSD code.

Advantages of using a USSD Code

Quite a number of services in Kenya can be accessed using a USSD code right on the mobile phone, take for example checking your mobile airtime balance. All you need to do is dial *144# on the Safaricom network. It doesn’t necessitate users to have a smartphone unlike application based services.

While commenting on the launch, Octagon Managing Director Godwin Simba indicated that Mobikeza will have unmatched capability of convenience in on-boarding, tracking and access of funds all through mobile platforms with access to three types of investment funds namely; Ustawi Fund, Hakika Fund and Usawa Fund.

Mr. Simba also acknowledged that pension coverage in the country was extremely low with statistics putting those covered at only 20 percent leaving out 80 percent of Kenyans compared to a reversed scenario in developed countries. He therefore added that to counter the low coverage issue, there was a need to focus on the informal sector who constitute 35-50 per cent of the economy in developing countries such as Kenya.

MOBIKEZA will be able to address the needs of the informal sector that require a flexible and affordable product that will be able to show daily, monthly and yearly yields, in turn, boost the saving culture and guarantee a comfortable life after retirement,” Simba concluded.

Commenting on the effort, The Retirement Benefits Authority (RBA) Chief Executive Officer Nzomo Mutuku termed the launch of the product as timely with a key focus of increasing penetration of pension plans.

How to enroll and save for retirement using Mobikeza

  • Users can either use the official App or USSD code for those without a smartphone
  • On your mobile phone dial USSD Code *483*8000#
  • Then Proceed with the registration process

LEAVE A COMMENT

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Safaricom uninterested to continue naturing e-commerce site – Masoko, opting for partnerships

Kenya’s e-commerce segment holds the most potential in the retail market, as more Kenyans are now opting for online shopping instead of...

How to videoconference in Google Meet using neat virtual custom backgrounds

The novel corona virus has surely brought a new world order in the ways that we conduct ourselves including how we work....

MacOS Big Sur apparently rendering older macs unusable with black screens

Users within the Apple ecosystem are used to lengthy software support on their devices ranging from iPhones, Apple TV’s, Apple Watches and...

Samsung unveils M5 and M7 smart monitor with both PC and smart TV features

While the current pandemic has altered our once normal way of life, we’re just starting to notice its effect on technology with...

Kenya set to unveil a virtual library for citizens to access timely information from the KNLS

Kenya’s government is prepping to launch a virtual library for citizens to access relevant information that it currently held by the Kenya...

How to divert or forward incoming calls to another number or voicemail on Safaricom network

Whether you just don’t want to receive any phone calls or prefer to have them transferred to another device, Safaricom has a...

Realme 7i and Realme C12 budget devices unveiled in Kenya, here is what you need to know

Realme just announced budget-centric duos in Kenya as consumers prepare for the holiday season, the two devices are officially joining a rather...

Telkom Kenya’s new Pawa voice bundles come with SMS and mobile data value packs

Popular Pawa voice bundles from Telkom Kenya have finally received a much-needed upgrade, customers will now receive additional value packs in text...