While things weren’t looking up as expected, Nairobi County’s new revenue collection platform was mired with hitches but the sort of which you’d expect with having a new system in place. We’ve therefore devised a simple guide that people living in Nairobi can use to make payments to the county government and continue enjoying services as before. The new Nairobi County revenue collection system utilizes a USSD technology for users who’d like to pay using mobile money platforms such as Mpesa.
The new systems which is expected to carter for motorists, traders and businesses within the county is now managed internally after JamboPay’s contract expired earlier in the year. We recently highlighted how the county was looking for a new provider after reports emerged that revenue was being lost through the previous platform and the infamous row on how it was later acquired by NHIF. Webtribe Limited which managed Jambopay – a platform that has been managing revenue collection for the county government since 2014, had its term extended for a more 30 days period to allow the county put in place a new system to allow for a smooth and satisfactory transition.
Nairobi County Finance Executive Charles Kerich had indicated that the county was ready to collect revenue on its own and while acting on behalf of County Secretary Pauline Kahiga acknowledged that county government was committed to achieving its revenue collection targets a move that led to the exit of JamboPay.
After the new system became operational, there were reports on how the County government was losing millions of shillings owing to all sorts of problems. For a start, the new system was hurriedly unveiled on a Sunday and expected to work come Monday something that really needed to be properly planned earlier before it become fully operational.
How to pay for Nairobi County Services using your mobile phone
- On your mobile phone, enter the following USSD Code: *235#
- You’ll be presented with “Welcome to Nairobi County e-Payments “Choose between; Parking, Land Rates, Rent and Other
- Other options include; Adverts, E-construction and Other Bill Payments
- Parking include; Daily parking, Seasonal Parking, Off-street parking and Penalties
- After selecting Pay, enter necessary details i.e. business ID for permit and vehicle registration details for parking.
- Proceed to enter the relevant amount, followed by Mpesa PIN when prompted to complete the payment.
- You should receive a confirmation text for the payment.