After the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) issued a new directive allowing Kenyan driving license holders to book for the new smart license online starting January 24th 2019; license holders will be able to book for the new smart cards through their TIMS accounts. Just like many government services available online via the TIMS portal, the process shouldn’t be complicated, although drivers are highly advised not to share their login credentials as this could lead to malicious attempts on their accounts.
To book for the new smart driving licenses, drivers are expected to use their Transport Integrated Management Systems (TIMS) account at www.ntsa.go.ke. In case you need assistance, NTSA suggests you visit one of their nearest offices located at MVI Likoni Road (Nairobi), Nakuru, Mombasa (Imara Building), Kisumu, Kisii, Machakos, Eldoret, Thika and Nyeri. According to NTSA, an invoice of Ksh. 3,050 will be generated during the application process by the system, and the payment should be made online. After making the payment, an NTSA official will take a digital picture, the applicant’s biometrics, and their digital signature after which, you’ll be advised when to collect your Smart Driving License.
Here is how you can apply for the new Kenyan smart driving license
- The application process is done online via the Transport Integrated Management Systems (TIMS); therefore, you’ll need to create an NTSA TIMS account if you don’t have one already.
- You’ll need to visit NTSA physical offices at above locations to proceed with the application process.
- After an NTSA agent confirms your details on their system, these details include biometric details such as blood type etc.
- If you did not book the license online or haven’t made the payment, you’ll be required to make a payment of Ksh. 3,050 for the new smart Kenyan driving license via M-Pesa.
- More details including biometric identifications and signature will be taken and a passport photo as well.
- Your license will then be sent for printing.
- After you’ve been successfully validated, you’re good to go.