LG isn’t particularly the popular brand you’ll find among Kenyans compared to Samsung and Nokia, but its relentless effort is as interesting as any other phone maker out there; with the entry of Optimus L9 P760/P768, joining the fast growing L-Series line-up, it’s not so obvious who calls shots in this segment. Optimus L9 isn’t coming to topple the likes of Galaxy S3, but that doesn’t mean it won’t call shots in areas that matter; it’s a mid-range droid with minimal compromises to keep it competitive. The phone packs a 1GHz Dual-core processor, which’s below benchmarks set by high-end devices but enough to tackle most android apps comfortably. It’s almost standard for new high-end devices to come with a Quad-core chipset, at the same time you’ll have to save more to get one, it’s a two way thing and preference is solely upon the consumer. Unlike the L7 which’s not so impressive on speed, you’ll hardly get any crashes or glitches on L9 due to the processor.
The whopping 4.7inch IPS LCD screen is definitely no less than that found on pricier handsets; it has a decent 540 x 960 pixels resolution that will render crispier images and smoother text compared to close rivals, colors aren’t as washed out as they would be on ordinary LCDs. The capacitive touch panel is hyper responsive to detect light finger tapping and the swipe to unlock feature is equally fast. LG Optimus L9 P760/P768 packs android v4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich OS, which’s disappointingly not the latest from Google as most devices coming out now have a Jelly Bean version instead, though an upgrade is anticipated. Except for the secondary VGA camera, one physical button and two soft keys on the sides, the front panel is almost entirely occupied by a 4.7inch IPS LCD screen. A 5.0Megapixel snapper sits behind the phone with an LED flash resting below it and a loud speaker at the very bottom of the phone’s back-side.
- Operating System: Android v4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich
- Processor: 1.0GHz Dual-Core Cortex-A9 Processor
- Display: 4.7inch (540 x 960 pixels) (234ppi) IPS LCD. 16m colors
- Camera: Pri:5.0MP(2592 x 1944p), Sec:VGA Auto-focus, LED, Video:1080p
- Storage: 4GB Internal, Up to 32GB MicroSD card
- Connectivity: MicroUSB v2.0, Bluetooth v3.0 with A2DP, EDR
- Internet: HSDPA 21Mbps, HSUPA 5.76Mbps, WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n, Hotspot
- Other ft: Touch-focus, Geo-Tagging, face detection, Sensors: Accl, Comp, gyro
- Battery: Standard Lithium Ion 2150mAh