The National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) has emerged as a beacon, providing crucial support to millions seeking medical assistance. One of its pivotal features is the NHIF hospital selection process, which, fortunately, has evolved to be a seamless online experience. In this article, we delve into the intricacies of choosing or changing outpatient hospitals through the NHIF platform, exploring the steps and options available for Kenyans.
The Evolution of NHIF Hospital Selection: Gone are the days of manual hospital selection, as NHIF members can now conveniently manage their preferences online. This shift has ushered in a new era of accessibility, allowing members to choose outpatient healthcare facilities without the need for physical visits to NHIF offices.
Understanding the NHIF Hospital Selection Process: NHIF cards are widely accepted in both public and private outpatient hospitals, with a caveat that not all private healthcare facilities are part of the NHIF network. The flexibility offered by NHIF allows members to change their preferred hospitals periodically. For super cover members, this can be done quarterly (March, June, September, and December), while civil servants in job groups A to K can make changes biannually.
How to Select Your Prefered NHIF Hospital
Online Options for NHIF Hospital Selection: The NHIF hospital selection process is user-friendly and can be accomplished through various online channels, namely the official NHIF portal, the NHIF app, and USSD codes.
- NHIF Portal:
- Visit the NHIF self-care portal and log in with your ID number.
- Confirm your identity through a one-time PIN (OTP) sent to your phone.
- Choose or change outpatient facilities for yourself and dependents.
- NHIF App:
- Download the NHIF self-care app from Google Play Store or Apple Store.
- Log in using your ID number and OTP sent to your phone.
- Select your preferred outpatient facility or change the existing one.
- USSD Code:
- Dial *155# on your mobile phone.
- Choose your preferred language and enter your ID number.
- Receive an OTP via SMS, enter it, and select outpatient facility options.
Crucial Considerations: Before making a choice, it’s vital to ensure that the selected healthcare facility is NHIF-accredited. NHIF doesn’t cover all hospitals, so confirming accreditation is key to avoiding inconveniences later on.
FAQs on NHIF Hospital Selection
- Can NHIF work in any hospital? No, NHIF is accepted only in accredited hospitals. Ensure your chosen facility is NHIF-accredited.
- How many hospitals can you choose for NHIF? Members can choose one outpatient facility per beneficiary.
- How many times can you change your outpatient hospital in NHIF? Changes can be made quarterly for super cover members and biannually for civil servants in specific job groups.