While the Kenya Revenue Authority has made major strides in ensuring the process of filing returns is simple and seamless, there’s always that one chance that for whatever reason you might not be able. And if you happen to miss this opportunity, you might be forced to pay some fines following the process that we shall elaborate later within this article.
In the era of digital transformation, the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) has embraced modernization by introducing an online platform to streamline tax-related processes. This has led to an increased focus on expanding the tax base and improving tax compliance. However, despite these advancements, some individuals are still unaware of the digital tools available to them. If you’ve encountered issues with KRA penalties and want to know how to check and pay them online, this guide will provide step-by-step instructions to help you navigate the process with ease.
Understanding the Evolution
With the digitalization of tax returns filing, KRA has taken significant steps to enhance its efficiency and transparency. While many have adapted to the digital platform with its user-friendly interface, some may find it challenging to grasp its functionalities. If you’re unsure about how to check KRA penalties or need assistance with charges against your PIN, this guide will ensure you’re up to date and avoid unnecessary costs.
The Role of KRA
The Kenya Revenue Authority is the official government body responsible for tax collection and related matters in Kenya. Every resident, and even non-residents in some cases, utilizes the KRA online platform, known as iTax, to manage their tax affairs. This includes addressing any issues related to tax penalties. KRA has simplified the process of updating penalties, making it convenient for individuals to manage their financial obligations.
Understanding KRA Penalties
KRA imposes penalties for various tax offenses, which may lead to additional costs if not addressed in a timely manner. For example, failing to file your Pay As You Earn (PAYE) taxes before the annual deadline can result in a penalty of 25% of the tax due or Ksh.10,000, whichever is higher. Other offenses come with their own set of penalties, ranging from late payment of various taxes to late filing of returns.
How to Check KRA Penalties and Stay Updated
Checking KRA penalties on the iTax platform is a straightforward process. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you navigate through it:
- Visit the official KRA iTax portal.
- Enter your KRA PIN in the designated field and click “Continue.”
- Solve the arithmetic sum of the security stamp and log in to access your user profile.
- Hover over the “Debts and Enforcement” menu to reveal a drop-down list.
- Click on “Request for Waiver for Penalties and Interests.”
- On the subsequent page, select the tax obligation and tax type to view your penalties and accrued interest.
- If necessary, choose a different tax obligation from the drop-down list to view liabilities for other categories.
Paying KRA Penalties Online
To pay your KRA penalties online, follow these steps:
- Log in to your iTax account.
- Hover over the “Payments” tab and select “Payments Registration” from the drop-down menu.
- Verify the details, including taxpayer PIN and name.
- Choose the appropriate category and payment type.
- Select the tax period and enter the payment amount.
- Choose the preferred mode of payment (e.g., RTGS).
- Click “Send” and download the e-slip.
If you’re paying using M-Pesa:
- Use Lipa na M-Pesa and enter 572572 as the business number.
- Use the Payment Registration Number (PRN) from the e-slip as the account number.
- Enter the payment amount and your M-Pesa PIN.
As the Kenya Revenue Authority advances into the digital age, understanding how to check and pay KRA penalties online is crucial for staying compliant and avoiding unnecessary costs. By following the step-by-step instructions provided in this guide, you can easily navigate the iTax platform, manage your penalties, and fulfill your tax obligations efficiently.